The Northamptonshire Regiment was formed as part of the reorganisation of the infantry
by the Childers Reforms when the 48th (Northamptonshire) Regiment of Foot (raised
in 1741) and the 58th (Rutlandshire) Regiment of Foot (raised in 1755) were redesignated
as the 1st and 2nd battalions of the Northamptonshire Regiment, with the regimental
depot at Northampton.
As well as the two regular battalions, the Northampton and Rutland Militia became
the 3rd (Militia) Battalion, and the 1st Northamptonshire Rifle Volunteer Corps became
the First Volunteer Battalion. With the enactment of the Territorial and Reserve
Forces Act 1907, they became the 3rd (Special Reserve) and 4th (Territorial Force)
In the years 1881-1914 the two regular battalions saw overseas service in Hong Kong,
India, Singapore and South Africa, with the regiment receiving battle honours for
actions in the North West Frontier Province and the Second Boer War. In 1908, the
Volunteers and Militia were reorganised nationally, with the former becoming the
Territorial Force and the latter the Special Reserve; the regiment now had one Reserve
and two Territorial battalions.
Wikipedia contributors. "Northamptonshire Regiment." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia.
Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, 24 Sep. 2017. Web. 28 Jan. 2018.